Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 01:38:29 GMT by
My wife and I share costs arising from our family car. However, I don't drive, so my wife is both legal owner and keeper of the vehicle. I'm a sole trader and my wife almost always takes me to/from places I carry out work using this car, aside from the odd occasion I use Uber. Would this allow me to claim flat-rate mileage as a travel expense on my self assessment tax return, or would I need to legally own and drive the car myself for this to be acceptable? My previous tax advisor suggested I could claim this, but it's recently come to light their advice regarding property expenses and cap-ex on cash-basis returns was incorrect so I'm concerned their guidance on mileage may also be wrong. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:39:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The car must be owned by you to qualify.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.