Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:17:50 GMT by Ricky Cheung
Hi, I want to clarify how to put the correct income figure into the self-assessment. It's my business foreign income from Hong Kong. The money to me is HK$500,000, however, I have paid for my employee's salary HK$150,000. May I know my income figure in self assessment should fill HK$500,000 or HK$350,000? Thanks. For information, the Hong Kong tax authority charge me tax based on income HK$350,000, i.e. tax amount equal to HK$350,000 x 18%
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 12:03:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Ricky,
You will need to convert from Hong Kong Dollars, to pounds sterling, to complete your tax return.  We do not provide an official exchange rate and the onus is on the individual to use a just and reasonable exchange rate for your conversions.  For your convencience, you can find exchange rates at 
( but you can use the exchange rate from another source.  You would declare the turnover on the self employment section of the tax return and claim the wages paid out, as an expense.  You would also need to declare the turnover and overseas tax deducted, so that you can claim a foreign tax credit, to avoid paying the same tax twice.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.