Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 18 Nov 2023 19:46:55 GMT by
I rent property, so currently fill in a self assessment form. More recently, I have earned some income from social media, which I will obviously add to my SA return. I have a monthly subscription to some software that I use for this income - can this be expensed against the income? Also, in the next tax year, I bought a new computer to use for the content I create on social media - will this be allowed to be expensed too?
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 07:52:48 GMT by
Please can someone help? This is delaying the submission of my current year tax submission
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:13:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tom Askey,
You can claim expenses for computer software your business uses for less than 2 years and computer software if your business makes regular payments to renew the licence even if the business uses it for more than 2 years.
Please take a look at the guidance on expenses for the self employed:
Expenses if you're self-employed Skip to contents of guide Contents
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.