Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Feb 2024 07:42:20 GMT by natalia hoidenko
I'm trying to stop being self-employed through online form and get "We are unable to process your application because the address provided does not match our records" in response. But I provide the same address as I have in my Personal tax account profile. Could you advise how to address this?
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:17:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi natalia hoidenko,
If you are entering the correct details, if you click on get help with this page for assistance or contact our Online helpdesk.
Alternatively you can contact HMRC to review:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.