Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 06 Nov 2023 11:22:20 GMT by andris
Hello, I have a question. The main nature of my sole trader business is e-commerce ( online seller) I am also a VAT registered for this side of the business. I am trying to make a side income in my free time as a freelance driver ( airport transfers, private hire, and delivery driver ) For those side business services that I provide, Do I have to charge them a VAT? Also because I use the same bank account for both when I do my booking for VAT return and self-assessment, how do I enter this transaction ( will they be VAT exempt, because the turnover from this business is less than the VAT threshold ) Is that how it works ?
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 13:52:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If you are a sole trader then everything you do as a sole trader will come under your sole trader VAT registration.
This means that if you have sidelines like passenger transport services then this will come under this VAT registration and you would need to account for the VAT on these services and pay this over to HMRC.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 14:52:17 GMT by andris
Thanks for your answer, does this also mean I can claim back any expenses related to my other business like petrol, car insurance, and garage repair bills? etc
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 11:42:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Cant see your original question to anwer this .

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.