Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 15:53:52 GMT by Anne Fendley
I have dividends from France and Spain, where tax is taken off at source, so claim foreign tax credit relief. , I filled in the "amount of income arising or received before tax", "foreign tax paid", clicked "Yes" for "Do you want to claim foreign tax credit relief and used the pull down menu to enter 15% for the "rate of credit relief allowed", as I was told to do by your advisor on this forum last year and it would automatically work out the amount I could claim as a basic rate tax payer, which it did then. This year it stated 15% was incorrect for my French dividend. I pressed Add and entered the information for my Spanish one. The same thing happened, but a table similar to last year, containing the information given appeared. However when I tried to " it refused to do so with the notice "There is a problem Please select "Add" to add this set of income details to your tax form or select "Clear" to continue without entering this set of income details. I get the option to Delete the foreign Section. Am I entering the wrong details or should I restart the selection?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 06:32:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25 Response
Hi Anne,
Articel 11 of the UK/France tax treaty
Synthesised text of the Multilateral Convention to Implement Tax Treaty Related Measures to Prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (MLI) and the Convention between the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Government of the French Republic for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income and on Capital
Has not changed.
It continues to advise that the foreign tax credit rate for dividends is 15%.
Article 10 of the tax reaty with Spain, shown the rate at 15%
UK-Spain Double Taxation Convention.
Often, the quickes and easiest solution is to delete the foreign section all together and create a new blank foreign section.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 06:39:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25 Response
Hi Robert,
As an exam assessor, you are self employed.
You would need to regiseter as self employed here:
Register as a sole trader
The current tax year 2024 to 2025 does not end until 5 April 2025.
From 6 April 2025, you can submit your 24/25 Self Assessment tax return, either by paper or online.
You can download paper tax return and supplementary pages here:
Self Assessment tax return forms
Or online here:
File your Self Assessment tax return online,
Provided you have registered for a government gateway.
You can create a personal tax account here:
Personal tax account: sign in or set up
Which will allow you to fill in, send and view a personal tax return amongst many other things.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.