Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:29:47 GMT by
I filed my first self assessment for the year 2022-23. The calculation showed "total tax repayable to you for 2022-23" with a figure indicating I was to expect a repayment to me - Number A. After I submitted I see a summary with a line item "Tax overpaid from return filed" with a detail of "repayment pending" and a different number (Number B), larger than Number A. It now look like I need to make a payment to cover Number B less Number A. My question is what is Number B? Where does this figure come from? I can't see any indication as to the origin of this number. For my previous year it says "I paid the right amount of tax".
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 07:31:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Dino,
Repayment pending' means your repayment is in the process of being repaid to you.
It may have to go through some short checks before it is issued to the account details you specified.
If it's a larger amount than you were expecting, it could be that some interest has been applied, or you had an additional credit on your Self Assessment record that was added to your repayment.
If you would like us to confirm this, please contact us by webchat or post here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 11 Feb 2024 09:03:20 GMT by
But it's telling me I need to make a payment, not that one is coming to me. In my tax year overview I see (numbers changed slightly from real ones): Tax: -1,200.00 Tax overpaid from return filed: 5,500.00 And it is suggesting I need to pay the difference. The number for Tax is the same as in my calculation "Total tax repayable to you for 2022-23 -1,200.00" I just do not understand where the "Tax overpaid from return filed 5,500.00" number is coming from?
Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 07:15:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Dino,
You will need to contact HMRC to review this for you:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.