Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:43:31 GMT by Gemma
Hi! I sell on Etsy and have filled a self assessment. My issue is the Etsy accounts are in my husband’s name and Etsy say can’t be changed. I know new rules are coming in with these places reporting earnings. I though it was best that my husband get his own UTR (as I am guessing Etsy may require it now) and then reports income but then has me as an expense with most of the money going to me. So I would just report as normal next year but would have no expenses as they would have already be taken off my husbands side. Or will Etsy not require the UTR and I can just explain to hmrc if my husband is asked about them? Hope this makes sense! Gemma
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:53:36 GMT by Gemma
Actually after speaking with an accountant they recommend I form a general partnership with me just have the greater percentage of the profits. I guess that will be the way to go?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 14:55:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

As the account you are using is in your husband's name, the income arising from it is his and should be declared in his tax return, not yours. You would need to create your own account and sell from that account, so that you can report on your tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.