Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 22:35:17 GMT by Zakirb B
I have recently moved to Australia from the UK as a doctor. I am on a 482 temporary working visa but plan to stay here. I intend to be here for more than half the year so will be a resident in Australia for tax purposes. I have a few specific questions relating to taxable income in the uk: - Regarding income from rental property - do I just fill out the NRL 1 form, submit it, but then pay the income tax in Australia only on this income? Or do I pay it in the uk? - if I choose to come back to the uk for a short while and work as a doctor as a locum would I then need to complete a self assessment in the uk and pay this tax in the uk whilst declaring worldwide income? Or do I declare and pay this tax in Australia only? Do I then need to complete a UK self assessment tax return as well?
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:38:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you have not already done so, you should complete form P85 to give us details of your departure from the UK.  

If you are renting out your UK property then you will meet Self Assessment criteria as a non resident landlord and you must declare your annual property income to the UK in your Self Assessment tax return.

As you have confirmed you will be resident in Australia then you must report your worldwide income in Australia and they will have taxing rights on this.

Your property income will remain taxable in the UK and you can also complete and submit NRL 1 form.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.