Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:59:57 GMT by David Page
Hello, I sold my house in New Zealand in November ‘21 to move back to the UK in December 2021, taking up a new role here after 20 years away. I have been asked to complete a self assessment for the tax year 2022-23. During that tax year we brought the proceeds of our house sale into the UK and put it all towards a new property once we had secured a mortgage. Are we liable to pay tax on those proceeds from the sale of our home in NZ or is there liability on interest paid in NZ on the earnings over that 8 month period, part 20223-23 and part 2023-24. Also, how/where do I show this transfer in my assessment? Can I offset any expenses incurred during our move back here against any tax liability? I also received a payment, after tax, from my old NZ employer during the 2023-24 tax year for underpayment of accrued holiday pay. Will this be liable for UK tax even though Nz tax was deducted? How would I declare it? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 14:53:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You do not need to declare the sale as this was prior to your arrival in the UK. Your relocation expenses cannot be set against your income. per Article 16 of the double taxation treaty, your backdated holiday pay is only liable in New Zealand.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.