Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:32:50 GMT by Paul Fletcher
Hello, I recently realised that due to an error with my reading of my P60 form I needed to pay back some child benefit for the years 2021-22 and 2022-23. I have registered for self assessment and now have a UTR. However I cannot work out how to file a self assessment for those years and how large any possible penalties would be. It is a genuine error that I am declaring and seeking to rectify but I am only being offered the chance to file a return for the year 2023-24. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:22:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Paul Fletcher,
We would need to check that tax returns have been issued for the earlier tax years which would then allow you to file the tax returns online.
If you contact HMRC we can check this for you:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 08:27:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
We would need to register you for Self Assessment for those years now passed.
Contact us by webchat or phone via:
Self Assessment: general enquiries to allow us to do this, and give you any further advice necessary.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.