Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 09:31:06 GMT by
I was born in UK, but I am now resident and domiciled in the Channel Islands. I have some UK income from property and Gilts (FOTRA -free of tax to residents abroad). a) Am I entitled to the UK Personal Tax Allowance ? b) Does the (untaxed) income from Gilts count when calculating how much my total income exceeds the allowance ? e.g. Say : Property income = 14,000 Gilt income = 15,000 Is my taxable income: 1) 14,000 - 12,570 = 1,250 or 2) 29,000 - 12,750 = 16,250
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:06:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi elpidio valdez,
As you have income from UK property, you meet the criteria for completing a Self Assessment tax return, as this property income is taxable in the UK.  
As you were born in the UK, you can claim Personal Allowances no matter where in the world you are resident.
In your tax return, you would complete the sections SA101 (additonal information) to report the gilts, SA105 (property) to report the UK property income and SA109 (residence) to claim Personal Allowances.
Tax would be calculated on an income of £29000.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:56:23 GMT by
Thank you for this clarification. The conclusion is that, although Gilt income is not taxed, it still consumes my personal allowance.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.