Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:06:06 GMT by Nelson2023 Nelson
Hi, I am living in Hong Kong and never come to UK before 2024. I plan to move to UK in April 2024. I have deposited some money in UK bank and earn some interest from 1 July 2022 to 5 April 2023. Since I am working in Hong Kong, no other income is received in UK except the interest income mentioned. In my understanding , the interest from bank should be treated as disregarded income with reference to HS300 and will not taxable for non resident. The question is that if I have only interest income in UK for the tax period 2022-2023, do I still need to file the self assessment form and tax return? If yes, Do I need to report the income from Hong Kong and the interest received from the banks in Hong Kong. Thanks for your kind response.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:13:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

Please refer to guidance at :

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad   .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:36:23 GMT by Nelson2023 Nelson
Thank you for your link. I find the following information from the link that I do not meet any one of reporting requirements for preparing self assessment . Please correct me if I have misunderstood. Quoted When to report your income to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) You usually have to send a Self Assessment tax return if: you rent out property in the UK you work for yourself in the UK you have a pension outside the UK and you were UK resident in one of the 5 previous tax years you have other untaxed income Unquoted Thanks a lot.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 12:05:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi,

That is correct.

If none of this applies you would then also need to consider the amount of interest that you receive.

If this is over £10,000 you need to file a return.

If not, and no other criteria is met, then a return is not required .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 00:48:41 GMT by Nelson2023 Nelson
Thank you for your information.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.