Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:52:54 GMT by James
Hi I’m wondering how do I check if I need to pay NI2. I am self employed and just done my self assessment return. I’m confused as it said it calculated I need to pay 170 but my profits were below the 12,570 threshold. I was going to call to ask them about this as it seemed like an error but since I finished the return I can’t see anywhere where I need to make a payment or it saying I owe any money. So maybe it corrected itself at the end calculation? When I look on NI contributions it says this year hasn’t been worked out yet which I understand as I just submitted. I’m an anxious person and I’d like to just know if it’s outstanding or not. Would it usually show if I have outstanding payment to make? Is there some way I can check?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:59:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

The 12570 refers to total income for tax purposes. The limit for class 2 for 2023 to 2024 is £6725 so if your profit is above this, class 2 will be due:

Self-employed National Insurance rates

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:37:45 GMT by James
Thank you for reply, where do I pay this as it doesn’t say anywhere that I have an outstanding payment to make
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 14:57:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi James,
Please refer to:
Pay your Self Assessment tax bill
Thank you 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.