Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 Oct 2023 14:06:27 GMT by
Hello, I recently completed my first-time registration for self-assessment for the 2022-2023 period well ahead of the October 5, 2023 deadline, approximately a couple of weeks ago. I've incurred a capital loss from my foreign investment activities, which include shares and option trading, and my intention is to carry forward this loss to the next tax year. I believe I've successfully completed the online registration process, but I haven't received any feedback thus far. Additionally, the new UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) hasn't appeared on my HMRC app. I have a couple of questions: 1. Can someone verify whether my registration was indeed successful and confirm that my new UTR will be visible on my HMRC app? 2. I'm uncertain whether I need to report my self-assessment for this year since I'm still operating at a loss. Should I wait until I start making a profit, or is it necessary to file now?
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 15:02:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi laurensia lay,
We are not able to verify personal details in this forum.
The Self Assessment tax return covers all of your world wide income and capital gains / losses.
If you completed a paper tax return, you can download and print off the supplementary pages at:
Self Assessment tax return forms
If you submitted your tax return online, you will need to log into your personal tax account and amend your tax return.
You will need to go the 'tailor your return' and choose the capital gains option.
 Within the capital gains option, you can declare the loss and elect to carry it forward.
 You can only claim losses within 4 tax years of the tax year the loss arises.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.