Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 07:33:31 GMT by
Having moved to the UK in July 2022, I sold my sole main residence in Hong Kong during this transition. The exchange of contract occurred before my move to the UK, with completion taking place after my arrival. Referring to RDRM12150, I understand that I may qualify for split-year treatment. My query is whether I need to include the capital gain in my self-assessment, considering that the exchange contract predated my arrival date.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:16:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi TomCambridge,
No, as you sold it prior to arrival and as your main residence no tax would be due.
Thank you, 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.