Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:42:37 GMT by JohnnieHuman
Is social security tax considered income that has already been taxed in the UK? In the Netherlands, you pay payroll tax and social security tax -- rather than NIC. It sounds silly as tax is in the name in the Netherlands, but as we in the UK would call this NIC, I've never really thought of it as a tax per se. As social security tax is higher in the Netherlands than the UK and payroll tax lower for me, I just wanted to check whether both are considered tax from a self assessment standpoint or whether it's only payroll tax?
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:17:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Please note that the NIC, social security tax deducted from employment income does not have to be reported as 'tax deducted' on a Self Assessment tax return. You can see information here:                             

National Insurance: introduction

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.