Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 09:07:56 GMT by Matthew2024
Hi, I am an individual (not-self employed) and have been submitting self assessments every year. I have a repayment plan set up for underpaid tax for the 2022/2023 tax year. In my 2023/2024 return, I overpaid tax and this positive balance has automatically been applied to my outstanding negative balance for the 2022/2023 tax year. However, when I look at the accruing interest payment for my outstanding balance for the 2022/2023 on my HMRC online account, it is clear that the interest is being charged on the full balance I owed from the 2022/2023 tax year, and has not reduced to reflect the self-assessment tax return I submitted in July. I spoke to a HMRC advisor on the phone who insisted that the interest is reduced to reflect the 2023/2024 positive balance, but I have done the calculations and the accruing interest is clearly not reflecting this reduced balance on my self assessment account. Can you please advise what I can do in this situation? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 08:00:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

If you disagree with the interest charged, you can object to this interest - please send your objection in writing to Self Assessment,

HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS, and we will review the amounts calculated .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.