Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 22:17:20 GMT by Pinks
Hi HMRC, I have a declaration of trust to split my rental income between my wife and I (50/50). I wanted to know if the expenses for the property should also be split 50/50 or if I can split this in anyway I want? i.e. If I am paying for the majority of expenses can I put 80% of them against the property income on my Self Assessment and the remaining against the property income for my wife for her Self Assessment? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:35:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pinks,
The default split between spouses and civil partners is 50/50 on jointly owned property.
Form 17 allows the option to change the split to that of the beneficial ownership of the property.
The property income and the expenses incurred, are either split 50/50 or in the other unequal split as claimed on form 17.
Thank you, 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.