Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 11:44:25 GMT by
Good morning, I’m currently making a claim for New Style ESA, however it’s been declined due to my NI record for 20-21 showing as having not paid or been credited with enough NICs. I was self employed throughout that tax year and paid Class 4 NICs on receipt of my Self Assessment: Tax Calculation, having checked my National Insurance Contribution history it’s showing as year is not full. Who do I contact in order to and how do I get this corrected ? Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 10:46:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Doylesj71,
Please contact our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 as it appears that you may need to pay Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NIC) for your period of self-employment.
It is the payment of Class2 not Class4 NIC that provides you with entiltlement to State Benefit, including ESA. 
The Helpline will check your National Insurance account and be able to give you the amount you need to pay and how you can pay it.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.