Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 10 Aug 2023 14:10:11 GMT by ERM2023
I moved to UK on Sep2022 and become tax resident on Dec2022 and will report split year treatment under arising basis. On Oct2022 , I had remitted fund from overseas to my UK settled rental payment, I also remitted fund from overseas to UK on Nov2022, Dec2023 settled my son’s tuition fee in UK university. Do I need to declare those foreign remittance from Overseas to UK?
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 07:13:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ERM2023,
The transfer of money from an overseas bank account to a UK bank account has no income tax implications, unless interest or dividends are generated.                                  Tax on savings and investments: detailed information
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:58:00 GMT by ERM2023
Thanks for your response. I have landed UK from HK on 1Sep2022 and become UK tax resident from 1Dec2022. Since I am receiving rental income from my HK property from Sep2022. Shall I start count this foreign rental income (a) from Sep2022 or (b) from Dec2022 and declare to HMRC? In addition, I know my foreign rental income from HK is qualify to apply double taxation agreement, but I don’t know how to execute the declaration to HMRC? Please advice. Thanks
Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:12:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ERM2023,
Although the Hong Kong property income is taxable in Hong Kong, when you are tax resident in the UK, it is also taxable here.
You would need to check if split year treatment applies.
If it does, you would declare the income from the date you are tax resident.
If you do not qualify for split year treatment, you would need to declare the overseas property income from 6 April 2022 and in both cases, claim a Foreign Tax Credit for the overseas tax paid.
RDR3 Statutory Residence Test
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.