Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Feb 2024 03:47:46 GMT by Bigman2023
Hello, paid my second payment on account on 9 February, it cleared today showing in my HMRC account payments list. However, unlike first payment on account whose allocation description shows as 'first payment on account', the second does not, in fact no allocation description just as an overpayment. My concern is, even though the total balance for payments on account is met before 31 July, as the second payment has not been allocated correct description will the algorithm still be looking for the second payment after 31 July and start demanding more payments and late fees?
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:49:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

When your second payment on account becomes due on the 31st of July, any credit on your statement, inluding the payment you have made, will automatically be allocated to that second payment on account. If you would like us to review and confirm the amounts present on your statement please contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:45:51 GMT by Bigman2023
Many thanks for your reply. I note the following, as I stated in my original post, the 2nd POA does not attract the same (albeit 2nd) allocated description as does the first POA, and your reply, unfortunately, does not answer this question. However, as much as online HMRC account gives no indication regarding 2nd POA allocated description let alone no numerical balance, ie, £0.00, HMRC app does state balance as £0.00 which is of course correct and does state basically what you said regarding 31 July. Just simply giving 2nd POA its proper allocated description would make this part of life less stressful

You must be signed in to post in this forum.