Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 15:25:23 GMT by qreparents
My parents are in their 80s . They have modest income ( pensions , and interest and rental income from joint assets ). Each of them is sent and fill in self assessment ( paper ) returns, generally have either small amounts of tax to pay or small amounts due back depending on interest rates . I posted their completed 23/24 returns last week, but found today they forgot to expense part of the managing fee on the rental. 1) For ease , they intend to add this portion to next year's property expenses as it is too complicated for them to re-print and re-post the self assessment- is this ok? 2) to avoid this in future can they sign up for online but have me or my brother ( not tax professionals ) help them navigate the online forms or fill them in on their behalf or is that only possible via a tax advisor? they are not computer literate.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 14:33:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi qreparents.
1. No, it needs to be included in the year that it relates to and they should send a letter to make the amendment.
2. For the filing of  tax returns it would only be a tax advisor as they need to be approved and have a code issued by HMRC.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.