Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 14:39:01 GMT by
I am resident in the UK. My father was born and resident in South Africa. He is recently deceased and I have inherited death benefits from a retirement annuity in South Africa (tax paid to SA Revenues Service) and a private post-retirement pension & saving plan in Guernsey. Am I liable to tax on these lump sum payments?
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:34:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

There would be no inheritance tax, as the retirement annuities were not UK annuities and your father was not UK resident. 

You will need to declare them both on SA108 of a self assessment tax return, as overseas income.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:18:32 GMT by
SA108 is for calculation of captial gains or loos on disposals. Please advise what part of the form is used to declare my overseas income.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:37:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Foreign income is on page SA106 .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.