Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 22:59:52 GMT by CC Chan
Dear HMRC staff, My family and I moved from Hong Kong and live in the UK through BNO 5+1 visa on 9 Aug 2022. Having stayed in the UK for more than 183 days, I believe I am the resident starting from the tax year 2022-2023. Before 9 Aug 2022, I did not have other ties (I had no home, no any income and no family tie in the UK). We lived in a temporary Airbnb from 9 to 14 Aug 2022 before moving to a leased house on 14 Aug 2022, leasing agreement started on 12 Aug 2022. I still own a flat in Hong Kong, which is my original residence, even I have arrived in the UK. From my understanding, split year case 4 or case 8 are likely to be applied for my situation, when the tax year for the UK part start from? 9 Aug, 12 Aug or 14 Aug 2022? Many thank for your reply! With regards, CC
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 22:16:32 GMT by CC Chan
Dear HMRC staff, Would you please help to reply my inquiry. One more question, is split year case 4 or case 8 applied to me? Thank you very much. With regards, CC
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 13:59:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CC Chan,
It will apply from 14/8/22.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 16:24:22 GMT by CC Chan
Thank you. Based on my case, which case of split year apply to me? case 4 or case 8? Many thanks! With regards, CC
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 10:45:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

We are unable to advise whether split year treatment case 4 or 8 applies to you. This is something that you will need to determine for yourself.  

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.