Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:13:00 GMT by
HI, Can someone clarify if seafarers earning above the 50k threshold need to pay the High Income child benefit charge? There doesn't appear to be any clear legislation on this. If the charge is calculated based on "net income" does the following legislation allowing for the deduction of seafarers to apply when calculating net income? S11 ITEPA 2003 327(3) to (5) Thanks, Jenni
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 11:50:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jenni,
The seafarers earnings deduction is removed from your net income, when calculating your adjusted net income.
If your adjusted net income is over £50,000 and so is your partner’s, then whoever has the higher income is responsible for paying the tax charge.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:24:28 GMT by Amy King
In reality though, if you put the relevant figures on the tax return, no High Income Charge is applied if enough SED is claimed to reduce taxable income to below £50k.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.