Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 19:54:42 GMT by apd84 Davies
Hi Have received a letter asking if i need to pay the HICBC, relating back to 2022-23. Whilst I am a higher rate tax payer, myself and my spouse have never applied for child benefit (confirmed under our gov gateway accounts), and in my tax return i have no value entered for child benefit (extract below). The letter states if I've checked and don't need to pay it, ignore the letter, but it's hard to fully understand the requirements for it - has anyone else received this previously? Thanks! High Income Child Benefit Charge 1. Total amount of Child Benefit you and your partner got for the year to 5th April 2023: £ Not Entered 2. Enter the number of children you and your partner got Child Benefit payments for Tax Year 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023: Not Entered 3. Enter the date that you and your partner stopped getting all Child Benefit payments if this was from 6th April 2022 to 5th April 2023 Not Entered
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 10:02:45 GMT by apd84 Davies
Hi - any help on this from anyone in the forum? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 15:27:24 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC....HMRC periodically run "campaigns" where they ask people to double check certain situations. If your letter says that if youve checked and dont need to pay then you can ignore it, then you can. Sometimes, HMRC include a cohort of people witinin the 10s of thousands they send the letters to who have dealt with it correctly. If you are certain you have dealt with the situation ok then nothing more for you to do.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 17:01:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi apd84 Davies,
If you have not claimed the child benefit then you would not have anything to declare on the Self Assessment tax return so what you have done is correct. 
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.