Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 28 Aug 2023 17:47:54 GMT by John Smith
I'm a UK resident and did some freelance work for a French company over a 3-month period in the 2022/2023 tax year whilst doing this work I stayed in France. I received 3 installments of 600 GBP totalling 1800 GBP paid into my uk bank account in GBP. This was a one-off freelance work and haven't done any since. Do I need to register as self-employed for my self-assessment tax return?
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 10:12:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes as the income is over £1000. You can see guidance here:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 14:14:47 GMT by John Smith
Do I need to register it as foreign income even when I was payed in GBP into my British bank account?
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 12:19:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Overseas self employment income is declared in the self employment section, SA103D or SA103F, of the tax return. If any overseas tax has been deducted from this income, you will also need to include it in on SA106, to claim a Foreign Tax Credit Relief.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.