Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 30 Dec 2023 23:10:34 GMT by G C
I get confused by the language used around gift aid. If theoretically I have donated £100 in any given year is it £25 (gift aid amount charity gets), £100 (my actually gift amount) or any other combination of amount I actually put on the self assessment? I have always put the £25 amount. Does this mean I have overpaid and could claim back?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 14:32:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The charity gets the gift aid amount plus your actual donation so in your example they would get £125.

On your return you should declare your actual donation and further relief would be due to you if you are a higher rate tax payer. You can see guidance here:

Tax relief when you donate to a charity

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.