Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:03:31 GMT by
Hi HMRC admin, I am a UK tax resident. However, I travel to Japan often and my stay in Japan is expected to exceed 183 days for this tax year. Under the Japanese tax law, I am levied 20.42% of income earned, prorated for the length of my stay in Japan. My employee is a UK entity. Will I be able to claim foreign tax credit to fully deduct the amount paid for the Japanese tax from my UK income tax? Best regards, DR
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:29:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

As out of the UK for over 183 days, you may not be UK tax resident. please refer to:

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:08:58 GMT by
Hi, Thank you for your reply. Regarding the Statutory Residence Test, if I stay at least 91 days in the UK, I will not meet any of the automatic overseas test. I plan to have a home in the UK for at least 91 consecutive days and stay in it for at least 30 days. I will also not have home elsewhere, so I will satisfy the second automatic UK test. Based on the above criteria, I will be a UK tax resident, but please let me know if my understanding is incorrect. Best, DR
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:10:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Your interpretation is correct.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 15:00:27 GMT by
Hi, Thank you. If that is the case, will I be able to claim foreign tax credit to fully deduct the amount paid for the Japanese tax from my UK income tax? Best, DR
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:47:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If it is Japanese Income Tax, yes.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.