Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 12 May 2024 13:17:30 GMT by Fee0606
I need advice as to whether the following forms of income should be included on my self assessment tax return - 1- Settlement agreement payments, totalling £30k - I understand that this amount is tax-free so does it need to be stated on the form? 2- Spousal maintenance - my ex has already paid income tax on this money so just to confirm I do not need to include it.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 05:28:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Fee0606,
While the first £30,000 of a settlement agreement will often be tax free, this can depend on the type of payment being received.
To confirm this for you, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Income Tax: general enquiries 
Maintenance payments are not considered taxable income, and so do not need to be included.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.