Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 00:15:10 GMT by FrankZappa
Here's a brief overview of my situation: I left the UK back in 2018 and started travelling from my savings. In early 2021, I started working freelance for clients in the to sustain my lifestyle - All of my clients are based in the USA I moved back to the UK in Mid 2022 and continued to work online. I completed the most recent 2022/2023 return without any problems. I have now noticed a £100 penalty in my account and a notice that I need to file a return for 2021/2022 I think I should be classified as a non resident for this year - Is this correct? Do I still need to file a return?
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 14:17:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi FrankZappa,
As you moved back to the UK in mid 2022, this is the 2022 to 2023 tax year.
You would need to contact the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 or contact our webchat facility at:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
To find out why a 2021 to 2022 tax return was issued?
Perhaps you rented out your home while travelling and need to complete a tax return for that reason.
My colleagues can ask you a series of 'yes/no' questions to determine if the tax return is required.
If it is not required they can take the necessary action to withdraw the tax return.
If it is due, you can download the paper tax return and supplementary pages at:
Self Assessment tax return forms
You can also have a look at the guidance on appeals here:
Check when to appeal a Self Assessment penalty for late filing or late payment.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.