Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 14:15:09 GMT by Elisabet
I live and pay tax in U.K. I do have some foreign shares in my account in Sweden, Since March 2023 they have started to deduct tax between 27 and 35% (depending on where the company are domiciled). I have normally in my self assessment deducted just the withholding tax between 5-15%. Can I now claim back the 27-35% tax?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 10:02:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You can declare the income and claim foreign tax credit relief :
Relief for foreign tax paid (Self Assessment helpsheet HS263)
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 10:26:12 GMT by Clive Smaldon
NOT HMRC, tax accountant. You cannot claim the excess in the UK, the claim for foreign tax credit is restricted to the UK liability, so the excess is not available in the UK,

You must be signed in to post in this forum.