Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:39:34 GMT by Ed O
I have a foreign (US) robo-advisor investment account that holds both reporting and non-reporting funds. The account will automatically rebalance holdings and reinvest any dividends. The capital gains from any rebalancing is minimal - my gross capital gains and net gains/loss are under £300 and (~£300) in total respectively over the last 5 years, and my total holdings are under the 4x Allowance. I have not registered for self assessment previously and did not realize I might have to (I have not previously met any other rules that would require self assessment). I wanted to understand what my reporting requirements are and how to remediate.
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:17:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As a UK resident with foreign capital gains, you should register for Self Assessment and report any capital gains that arise. You can see guidance here:                    

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.