Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:37:29 GMT by JaseC
During the 2022/23 tax year my earnings just stepped over £100,000 by £144. As per guidance I submitted a tax return. All of my pay is through the PAYE system. I was expecting a tax bill of around £29 as my understanding is that I lose £1 of my tax free allowance for every £2 earned over £100k. However, the tax bill is £58 which is a straight 40% of £144. I called HMRC and they said that because I earned £128 interest on savings my tax relief is reduced by this amount also and so consequently the £144 is taxed at 40%. Is this correct as I thought I could earn up to £500 tax free interest on savings. Incidentally, the numbers still don't quite add up based on this. If what I was told is correct then is it true that in this situation effectively ANY interest on savings is taxed as it still reduces your tax free allowance?
Posted Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:35:38 GMT by
@JaseC You've misunderstood how interest is taxed. Outside of a (tax exempt) ISA there is no separate tax free allowance for interest. But as a higher rate payer the first £500 is taxed at 0% (the savings nil rate band, often referred to as they Personal Savings Allowance). However that £500 is still taxable income and forms part of your adjusted net income. And it's adjusted net income which determines your Personal Allowance. So that £128 will be taxed at 0% but in turn will mean you lose an additional £64 in Personal Allowance.
Posted Sun, 17 Sep 2023 09:33:59 GMT by
The savings income is still counted in the tax band even though you pay no tax on it, so it pushes more income into the higher bands.
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 11:14:19 GMT by JaseC
Thanks for the replies. So as I said in my final sentence. I am effectively taxed on ANY interest made on savings as, in my case, it reduces my tax free allowance. The numbers still don't quite add up though but at least it is a little closer.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:01:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
The bill would be £58 as you have already used up all of the 20% tax band.
The additional income would fall into the 40% threshold.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:37:32 GMT by JaseC
OK. So at the risk of of going round in circles on this, and for my future understanding, can I just get this straight. Up to £100,000 all my income is through the PAYE system and taxed correctly. However, if you earn over £100,000 the system can't allow for the fact you then lose £1 of tax free allowance (£12570 in this case) every £2 of income over £100,000. So, setting aside the interest earned on savings, if income was £100,144; all of which has been taxed via the PAYE system, the £144 would incur a loss of £72 of tax free income which then taxed at 40% would be £28.80. Which is an effective rate of 20% on the £144. Now bring in the £128 of interest earned on savings, theoretically tax free but not really, and that then reduces tax free allowance by a further £64. Surely this would then mean a further £25.60 in tax owed. Which when added to the previous £28.80 actually means £54.40.... Is all of this correct or have I misunderstood something?
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:31:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi JaseC,
Yes that is correct.
Thank you, 

Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:21:23 GMT by Nikky Bee
I have recently been sent £100 penalty for late filing of self-assessment. My taxes have always been deducted through PAYE, so I was unsure why I got the penalty. After several minutes on Google, I believe this is as a result of my earning >£100k during the last tax year. Is it my organisation's responsibility to make me aware of this since prior to now, I've always been on PAYE deduction or how am I expected to become aware of this requirement? Is there a guidance I can take to my organisation for not informing me? Any help will be useful. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2024 20:44:33 GMT by Yaantk
I received the same penalty, and upon phoning HMRC was advised to pay the fine before the deadline then appeal to the postal address on the letter. They state that there’s sufficient guidance on your P60 (the *comment), to inform you of this
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:20:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Nicky Bee,

If your income was over £100K for the 2022 to 2023 tax year then that is a Self Assessment criteria and HMRC would have sent you a notice to file the tax return. It is not your employers responsibilty to inform you if you need to complete a Self Assessment.

Once you file the outstanding Self Assessment you can then appeal the penalty charge. You can check Self Assessment criteria here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:03:47 GMT by Nikky Bee
Thanks Yaantk and HMRC Admin 19 for the responses. I don't recall seeing any request to file a notice to file tax returns, but I'll proceed as advised. Kind regards, Nikky Bee  .

Feedback to reply .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.