Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 04 May 2024 09:07:11 GMT by yua_freelance
Hi! I am starting to get more than 1000£/year for my side business and therefore need to be registered as self-employed. I want to upgrade my laptop for this self-employment. I am planning to register as a Sole trader and use Cash accounting next tax year for tax returns self-assessment. Will I be able to expense it for tax purposes? Let's say the laptop will be 2000£, will I be able to expense all 2000£ in this tax year (2024/2025) or will I need to stretch it over a couple of years (24/25 and 25/26) so it will make no difference compared to 1000£ allowance anyway as I will not have any other significant expenses. I do not think I will use it for person purpose while I am freelancing for that company, but might use it for personal use after a year or so. Thank you! Best, Julija
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 12:01:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.