Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:48:53 GMT by
My Office/place of work was 30 miles away from my home which I travelled to twice a week, any visits I had to do to individual sites were claimed from the office to the address and back again. My main office/place of work has closed and I have been given the opportunity to work from the closest office which would be 60 miles from my home or to work from home. Should I get paid my milage from my home address or can my employer still just pay me from my old office address or choose a point of reference to pay the expenses from and too ?
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:58:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi
Please refer to Claim tax relief for your job expenses: Vehicles you use for work - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).  You cannot mileage claim expenses from home to your permanent place of work but can claim for expenses for travelling from your permanent place of work to individual sites as this is purely business expenditure.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 06:50:54 GMT by James McIntosh
Can you claim traveling from your home to an individual site for your employer? Leaving from your home to attend on the companies behalf.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 10:25:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi James McIntosh,
The sort of travel that qualifies for tax relief on this basis is travel that is ‘on the job’, as distinct from travel ‘to the job’
Please see:
When travel qualifies for tax relief (490: Chapter 2)
For further guidance.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.