Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 06:17:09 GMT by pch
I need to complete a self assessment for 2023/2024 tax year. The calculations show I was a UK resident in this period but I moved abroad in January 2024. Please advise whether I can complete my self assessment online for 2023/2024 or if I need to complete a SA100 paper return for this period.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 12:17:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
As UK resident you can complete this online.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 15:57:37 GMT by Clive Smaldon
...not if split year applies from departure (would be curious as to why it doesnt if you moved abroad permanently?)...if claiming split year from Jan 2024 (meaning you dont enter foreign earnings/foreign income etc and dont get taxed on them in UK from leaving) then you need residence pages, so paper or 3rd party software. If not split year then you are liable on worldwide income for the FULL year, even after leaving.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 18:16:18 GMT by snow bubble
I recently sent an online application to register for self assessment. The application was initially rejected because the addresses did not match. I have updated my details on the gateway site and have resent the application. How do I know if it has been received and processed. I am a UK citizen living in France.
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 07:59:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi snow bubble,
You can find out when you can expect to receive a reply form HMRC here: 
Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.