Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 13:29:09 GMT by
I When entering information into tax return I am told to enter salary before tax and tax amount. (Pension contributions are taken off before tax calculation and not included in P60. Then in pensions section I am told to add the amount I pay into pensions. If I do this then it reduces my tax liability and shows that I am due a refund which is incorrect, Can you please advise if I should enter anything here.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 23:43:33 GMT by maxb
The box called "Payments to registered pension schemes (also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called 'relief at source')." is for when you pay into a pension yourself, using your taxed earnings. If your employer is paying in to a pension on your behalf, including "salary sacrifice" contributions - which it sounds like is the case since the sums are not part of your P60 - then you do not enter the pension contributions in your tax return at all.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:08:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

As the pension is taken from your pay before tax, the net pay arrangement is in place and relief has already been given. There should not be an entry under pension contributon in this case.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.