Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:48:40 GMT by
What happens if we receive money from inheritance? I'm a French national living in the UK and resident here for tax purposes. My parents, who are based in France and still pretty well alive, were thinking about giving me an advance of my inheritance for the equivalent of £26,000. If they do, they probably transfer the money on my French bank account. Do I have to declare anything to the UK? Many thanks
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:00:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As your parent's are resident in France, they may need to consider the implications of the gift relating to the French equivalent of inheritance tax.  

There would be no inheritance tax liability in the UK, provided, they were resident outside the UK at the time of their deaths and they had no UK assets.  

There are no tax implications of a cash gift, however, if the gift generates interest, then the interest would be taxable.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.