Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:53:04 GMT by
I am a member of the armed forces and I have never had to submit a self assessment before. My salary went up in Sept due to the pay rise. It has now gone over £50000. My wife claims Child benefit is there anything I need to do? or does my paye take care of itself. I do not really have any knowledge of this as my pay has always taken care of it's self.
Posted Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:16:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi simonh1315,
As your wife is in receipt of Child Benefit and your income is now over £50,000 and you are the higher earner then the Higher Income Child Benefit Charge, HICBC, will apply.
You will need to register for Self Assessment and submit a tax return to calculate any balancing payment due:
Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.