Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 19:05:19 GMT by
I lived and worked abroad before moved to UK and I am the tax resident in UK. I am working freelance from home in UK and I provide service for the same company (outside UK) every month and they transfered the income (not GBP) to my bank account of my own country, the amount of income is difference every month depends on the work load. The company have not provided any allowances (Medical, Annual Leave, Pension) for me and they have not filled my income to the Tax department of my own country and HMRC UK. Under this circumstance, shall I defined as Employed or Self-employed in Self-assessment? In Self-assessment tax return, which category shall I input the amount of the salary (SA102 Self-employed or SA103Employed)? Thank you for your advice.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:42:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

This will be classed as self employment and you will need to convert the income to sterling.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:31:11 GMT by
Dear Officer, If I only transfered part of the income to my UK account, do I need to file this portion of foreigh income in the Self-assessment tax return? or I need to file all of the foreigh income? Thank you for your advice again.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:04:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Please refer to https:
Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264

You must be signed in to post in this forum.