Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:17:39 GMT by
I inherited a lump sum from a deceased Uncle who was resident in the US. i received the payout through his solicitor that had finalised the trust and paid relevant taxes to US Government. I am self employed and so do I need to declare this inheritance sum as an income on my self assessment tax return and thus pay income tax on it?
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:38:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You do not need to declare this sum.  Any interest dividends that your inheritance generate once you have received it, is taxable and should be reported to HMRC.
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 14:33:02 GMT by Alex Lamb
Can the spousal exemption for inheritance tax be used against foreign assets (property/bank accounts)?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 10:10:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You need to contact our Inheritance Tax team via link below.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.