Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:32:18 GMT by
Hi, I've registered for a UTR number on Jan 16 2024 and I am yet to receive my UTR number. I have already missed the deadline for my tax return due to this. Is there a massive backlog? Usually I'll see the UTR number on my HMRC app before I get it in the post. Thanks
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:08:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If it still has not been received then you can keep checking your online account for the UTR. Once allocated, as the tax return will be issued late you will have 3 months and a week to file the tax return before late filing penalties are charged. If a penalty is charged you can appeal. You can see guidance here:

Check when to appeal a Self Assessment penalty for late filing or late payment

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:16:26 GMT by
Still to this day , I still haven't got my UTR number, is there a massive backlogged at the moment or something?... It's been over a month, I've called HMRC and told me I would get it by February 6, it's passed that date
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:33:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

While it usually takes between 10 and 15 days to receive your UTR once you have registered, it can take as long as 28 days during periods when we receive a higher amount of registration requests. If you still have not received your UTR, it is possible that there was an error in your application. Please contact our Self Assessment team us so we can review this for you.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.