Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 22:43:19 GMT by Adriel Yap
I am in full-time employment but have a side business as an organist, playing for weddings, funerals, and church services. I want to expand the services I provide clients through performing with a street organ (a portable mechanical pipe organ that plays music from paper rolls) for parties, weddings, etc. The cost of this is equipment around £6500. Can the cost of this equipment be deemed a tax deductible expense against my total tax bill? I keep accounts on a cash basis, and my current turnover for this business is about £1,500 per year.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:10:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Adriel Yap,
You can claim this as an expense but only for its business use.
If you use this for personal use too, you need to work out the proportion that is actually business and then claim that percentage of the cost.
Claim capital allowances.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.