Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2024 14:38:36 GMT by John Smith
Looking for some clarification regarding ltd company profits and director's tax obligations via self assessment. I'm employed full time PAYE and also operate a small ltd company - with myself as director, no employees, no salary. I take drawings from my company as and when required. My self assessment has been filed by my accountant, and tax due appears to be based on the total profit that the ltd company made for the financial year. I had been under the impression that any self assessment tax due would be based solely on what was taken from the company as drawings? As an example, the ltd company made £8000 profit last year. Self assessment tax has been calculated at the correct tax bracket 40%, but of the total £8000 profit - which is £3200. I took drawings from the company of £4000. So I'm essentially to pay back £3200 of the £4000 I've taken out? This can't be correct?
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 15:39:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John, 
Any drawings you take, should be declared in your personal Self Assessment tax return.
The profits of the limited company, should be taxed under Corporation Tax rules and not included in your personal Self Assessment tax return.
You would need to amend your tax returns to remove the limited companies profits and instead, declare them in a Corporation Tax return.
Have a look here:
Corporation Tax
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.