Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 00:13:43 GMT by
Hello, I have a completed tax form in online self assessment but the calculation that is shown (in the "View your calculation" section), the dividends (foreign and UK) are put in the "Pay, pensions, profit etc. (UK rate for England and Northern Ireland)" and taxed at 20%. The amount that is taxed is my employment income plus dividend income minus £2000 (I suppose that is the allowance). All income are taxed in the basic rate but shouldn't dividend be taxed at 8%? If I decrease or increase the dividend in the tax form, a different calculation is shown, with dividend not included in the aforementioned category, but listed separately and taxed at 0%, 8.75% and 33.75%. However in this calculation the nil band for the first £2000 dividend income is added to the taxable income, pushing the dividend income into a mix of basic rate and higher rate. Is there any special calculation that I am not aware of, that allow the dividend to be calculated in the first method?
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 13:43:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

It should not tax the dividends at 20%. At the bottom of the page, there should be a selection,  get help with this page, if you click there it then enables you to send a report to the helpdesk for them to look at the issue.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 18:49:32 GMT by
Hello, I don't see the option to "get help with this page" in the calculation summary. Can you describe in more detail where to report the error?
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:38:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alex Pun,
It should be at the very bottom of the page.
You should also ensure that although the dividends are added as taxable income, the breakdown of the tax due on them is further down in the calculation and should not be at 20%
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 13 Jan 2024 20:32:13 GMT by
Hello, Please direct me to the report problem page, I can't see any "get help" besides "Ask HMRC" which only allow non specific questions. I can only see the following option on the right hand side of the calcualtion summary File a return menu Welcome View your calculation View/print/save your return Provide feedback Exit File a return Tax return options How to pay Ask HMRC The bottom of the page is Help Cookies Contact Accessibility statement Terms and conditions Rhestr o Wasanaethau Cymraeg Built by the Government Digital Service All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated The calculation: Note no meantion of any dividend. How we have worked out your income tax Amount Percentage Total Pay, pensions, profit etc. (UK rate for England and Northern Ireland) Basic rate £xxx x 20% £xxx Savings interest from banks or building societies, securities etc. Basic rate band at nil rate £xxx x 0% £0.00 Higher rate band at nil rate £xx x 0% £0.00 Gains on life insurance policies etc. with tax treated as paid: Starting rate £0.00 x 0% £0.00 Basic rate band at nil rate £0.00 x 0% £0.00 Basic rate £0.00 x 20% £0.00 Higher rate band at nil rate £0.00 x 0% £0.00 Higher rate £0.00 x 40% £0.00 Additional rate £0.00 x 45% £0.00 Income Tax due after allowances and reliefs £xxx minus Foreign Tax Credit Relief £xxx Income Tax due after tax reductions (A) £xxx
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:43:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You need to scroll to the bottom of the page.

Alternatively, submit the return and when it transfers to the HMRC site, it may have already fixed itself. You can then contact us on webchat to review, and, or/update.

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.