Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 12:53:55 GMT by Helen Lin
Hello! I become an UK tax resident since July 2023 as I moved into UK from Hong Kong, and UK is my only home since then. However, I went back to Hong Kong to work for a Hong Kong employer during Feb 2024 to Jun 2024. Sorry to ask under the terms of the double taxation agreement, do I need to declare in the UK self assessment for salary income of Feb 2024 to Jun 2024 from employment carried out on Hong Kong soil? Thanks very much!
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:54:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Helen Lin,
If you were resident in Hong Kong at the time you were working for a Hong Kong employer, then the employment income is only taxable in Hong Kong.
You will need to complete a Self Assessment tax return, claiming split year treatment and declaring the income in the freehand notes box, so that it is not included in the calculations.
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.