Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 18:44:05 GMT by MD
Dear HMRC team, I am employed and tax is deducted from my payroll. I have not registered for UTR before, since I did not have any other income except my salary. For the 2023/2024 tax year, I have earned interest(less than 10K) from my Bank savings account. Other than that, I do not have any other income for this financial year. Please let me know if my understanding is correct: >I do not need to register for a UTR number(SA1), and do not need to send the self-assessment form(SA100) to notify HMRC about my interest earnings. Am I right? >If yes, since I do not have a UTR number, how and when would HMRC contact me to pay the tax from my interest income? I am a bit worried if my understanding is not correct, and if I do not send SA100 to notify my interest income and end up I will need to pay a penalty. Thank you for your advice, HMRC team.
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 05:31:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi MD,
As your savings interest is under £10,000, you do not need to file a Self Assessment tax return to declare this income.
When your bank or building society sends confirmation of the amount of interest you received, we will automatically calcualte the amount of tax owed, then send confirmation of this calculation, detailing ways in which to pay (if the amount cannot be coded).
You can find out more here :
Tax on savings interest
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.