Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 22:15:00 GMT by
Hello, this is my first time submitting Self Assessment (very exciting)! I've been donating to a number of charities on an ongoing basis and I have Gift Aid declarations for all of them, but I haven't claimed tax relief on any of them yet. I put in the 2022-2023 donation onto the SA, so that's fine. But how do I claim tax relief for the 2021-2022 tax year (for example), when I didn't have to a Self Assessment? There's the "Decrease in tax due because of adjustments to an earlier year" section, but it's a bit confusing – I'm not sure what to put there. Please could you provide some guidance here?
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 21:18:02 GMT by
I'm in a similar boat - doing my first self assessment. But I have previously benefited from higher rate giving. You can phone HMRC and let them know of the gift aid from previous years, and they will send you a cheque (or I think they can adjust your PAYE tax code). Set aside a bit of time to be on hold, but in my experience they're helpful when you get through.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 11:41:03 GMT by
Thanks! Yes, but I figured I’d do it via self-assessment since I’m filling it out anyway. I suppose I could putt gift aid aid payments from 2021-2022 times 20% as overpaid tax, but it’d be great if an HMRC admin could confirm that
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:50:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you were a higher rate taxpayer in 2021 to 2022, you will need to submit a separate claim for the Gift Aid. You can do this on webhat, phone or by writing in with the details of the amount paid.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:39:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi TaxFan,

You cannot claim for previous years payments. You will need to submit a separate claim either in writing or on the phone,

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:06:43 GMT by
Thanks very much, I’ll do just that!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.